Craniosacral Therapy also called CST, or cranial osteopathy, it is a gentle, non-invasive, hands-on technique, developed by an American osteopathic physician almost one hundred years ago.
CST theory and practice is based on understanding the continuous subtle movements of the cranial bones, which result in a rhythm of approximately six to twelve cycles per minute. This rhythm is understood as a response to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) fluctuations within the spinal cord and brain environment. Every day our body’s encounter stresses and strains that they must work to compensate for. These changes can cause body tissues to tighten and distort the craniosacral system resulting in restrictions. This can create a barrier to the healthy performance of the central nervous system, and potentially every other system it interacts with.
A therapist gently works with the spine and the skull, and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia. By using the hands as fine discriminating tools, Craniosacral therapists are able to detect disturbances in the rhythm to help them identify areas of dysfunction, such as cranial, sutural, membrane and other soft tissue restrictions in the body.
CST takes a whole-person approach to healing and the inter-connections of mind, body and spirit are deeply acknowledged. It is an effective form of treatment for a wide range of illnesses helping to create the optimal conditions for health, encouraging vitality and facilitating a sense of well-being. It is suitable for people of all ages including babies, children and the elderly, and can be effective in acute or chronic cases.
Patients remained clothed during a treatment and treatments generally are one hour long.
How a treatment helps:
- helps restore normal cranial mobility
- releases abnormal myofascial restrictions and tensions in the body
- releases abnormal restrictions in the head
- eases restrictions of nerves
- optimizes cerebrospinal fluid movement through the central nervous system
- helps restore misaligned bones to their proper positions (assisting troubles with back, hips, shoulders, knees)
Craniosacral Therapy is beneficial for:
- birth traumas and other perinatal challenges
- infant latching and feeding difficulties
- recurrent ear infections
- facial asymmetries and eye motor problems
- learning disabilities, A.D.D., A.D.H.D
- gross and fine motor problems
- developmental delays, autism
- tinnitus, hearing loss and vertigo
- TMJ syndrome
- stress disorders and insomnia
- muscle and joint pain or injury
- many neurological conditions and pain syndromes